Friday, December 4, 2009

Jennifer

I don't usually like to post things on my blog that don't pertain to myself or my family, but I feel compelled to share this with you all.

This is Jennifer (pictured with her youngest daughter). She and I were friends when we lived in Washington. Both our families moved away about 5 or 6 years ago. They moved to CO and we moved to AZ. We lost touch for a while and I feel terrible about not keeping in close touch.

It haunts me.

You see, Jennifer was a remarkable human being. She was kind, soft spoken, giving and most of all she was a devoted wife and mother to her three girls. When she was in labor with her second daughter (6) years ago they discovered that she had a brain tumor. It turned into a critical emergency situation that was very traumatic for everyone involved. Her daughter was born healthy and Jennifer underwent different procedures to try to come up with a prognosis. My memory of the details surrounding that situation are fuzzy but I do know that miracles happened and this sweet family was being watched over from on high. Casi and Jennifer always seemed to carry themselves with faith and dignity. It was clear that Jennifer was loved and she was blessed with a man who loved her and wanted to serve her in any way he could.

When we were living in Washington 5.5 years ago I had the honor of knowing this special friend that left a huge impact on me that I've never forgotten. Have you ever just met someone and just knew instantly that that person is extraordinary and you don't feel worthy to be their friend? That's how I felt. I felt inadequate but at the same time I wanted desperately to be her friend and serve her. She didn't like to ask for help (like most of us don't) so I just showed up. I knew that she needed rides to her doctors appointments and her girls taken care of while she was in with the doctor. I made a routine out of it and we spent quite a bit of time together just getting to know each other and she just seemed so upbeat and positive. There were times when I could tell she was discouraged and scared, but she never wanted to burden me with her thoughts. It definitely wouldn't have been a burden. She always managed to smile regardless of how she felt physically or emotionally. It was infectious.

I would look forward to her visits and our girls liked playing together. It seemed like after her major brain surgery things were looking up.

For a while.

Jennifer's health began to seriously decline in September and then later when she ended up in the hospital with the H1N1 which exasperated things.

Jennifer lost her battle with brain cancer the day after Thanksgiving (November 27th 2009).
She was my age and way too young to die. I cling to my faith that tells me she is in a better place and is no longer suffering. That is the peace that I pray for the Borrego family at this time. They are a strong, faithful, loving family and will get through this. They can't do it alone and what a blessing it is that they don't have to!

I got a friend request from one of Jennifer's cousins. She was devastated about the loss and was really looking to find some of Jennifer's friends so she could talk to them and perhaps hear their positive perspectives on her cousin. I was happy to share my memories and thoughts about my dear friend. What could I have done better? Maybe if I weren't so wrapped up in my own selfish life I could have reached out to her and been more of a friend. You know, having regrets really sucks.

I've thought long and hard about this and what I would really like to do is have a toy/money drive for Jennifer's three girls. Hannah is 9, Sydney is 6 and Melissa is 18 months. I thought if any local people wanted to donate a small gift or something to the girls I would put a package together and send it off by the end of next week. It doesn't have to be expensive. You could pick something up at the dollar store. If you don't want to have to buy anything, if you have a gently used toy, outfit...you could donate that. I know this family is drowning in medical debt and they are going to need a lot of extra help for a while. I would love to give their girls a special Christmas where they can open up gifts from strangers and feel the love of others who they don't even know. I also thought it would be nice to throw in a few things for Casi. I'm sure he could use some cheering up too. He just lost his best friend and mother of his children. Devastated doesn't even begin to describe his emotions.

If you are able to help in even the smallest of ways leave a comment with what you'd like to contribute. $1, Gift card, toy, gently used toy, blanket, candy, just a note to the family...whatever! Just think how much this act of kindness could lift the spirits of this family and make their Christmas a little brighter. PLEASE think about it. I realize that a lot of families are struggling financially right now and I'm not suggesting you must spend money to make a difference. Be creative and let's make this a special Christmas for those sweet little girls who are surely missing their Mommy right now.

Thank you! If you have any questions you can leave a comment or email me at egmatson at gmail dot com. I'm hoping to have the package in the mail in one week.

Below is Jennifer's Obituary:

Jennifer Dawn Borrego


Born May 9, 1975 in Spokane, WA. Died November 27, 2009. Graduated from Highlands Ranch HS, 1993. She was preceded in death by her fraternal grandfather Gordon Bennett and maternal grandparents Max and Gail Nielsen. She is survived by her children, Hannah 9, Sydney 6, and Melissa 18 months, and her husband Casi; her parents Orvil and Merry Ann Bennett; brothers Shaun and Eric; and nieces Brittany and Elisia. Also survived by father-in-law Dr. Richard Borrego; mother-in-law Patricia Smith, sisters-in-law Crystal and Emily, brother-in-law Chad, nephews Elijah and Zephaniah. She was a dedicated wife and mother and all who knew her loved her dearly. Memorial services will be at 1pm, Thurs., Dec. 3rd, @ The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, 5175 South Piccadilly St., Centennial, CO 80015. In lieu of sending flowers, please donate to the National Brain Tumor Society.

11 comments:

Dalana and Mark said...

Thank you for sharing this Emily. What a sweet thing for you to do, wanting to put together the care package. As you know, this story really hits home to me. My late husband died of a brain tumor leaving me with three little kids. It's people like you that will help her husband and daughters get through this. What a great way to start off the Christmas season.

Cristin said...

That is so sad. My heart goes out to her family.

Hot Pants said...

I was thinking of you Dalana as I was reading this. I remember that last Christmas with Bob and Dwight and I came down to visit. We were all at their house and someone knocked on the door. When we answered it, the front porch was filled with gifts. I acted like I had to go to the bathroom, then went in there and cried. It was such a great feeling, knowing that so many people were thinking of our friends.
I'm so glad you are doing this for your friend Emily, and I'll see what I can come up with to help out.

The 5 Nelsons said...

We would love to drop off a couple of small toys. We could probably bring them by either tonight or tomorrow sometime. Thank you for sharing this story. My heart goes out to her family and to you. It is never easy to lose a friend, especially one who has had such an impact on your life.

Anna B said...

What a nice thought. I would love to help. You are such a thoughtful person. I love you.

E said...

That is so sad! Do you have a pay pal account set up that I can send money through? Should I mail you money? Let me know, and I'll get it out to you tonight!

Cherise said...

I would love to bring something by. Call me in the morning if you are feeling better.

Autumn said...

I am so sorry. It cannot be easy losing such a dear friend. This is such a sweet thing you are doing. We would love to help how we can. I will let you know tomorrow.

Christina said...

Emily, I am so sorry to hear about the loss of your friend. She sounds like such a very sweet person. And such a wonderful family as well. We would love to help by bringing by a few gifts for the family. I will try to come by either today or tomorrow.

Steve said...

Well, what a jerk I am for now just getting to read this! I'll be calling you today! I'm off to VT right now, but I'll call after that. Love you :(

Steve said...

Sorry, that's Amanda^^^Forgot Steve was still signed in.