Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Laundry, Stress and Good Friends

I guess Tuesdays are becoming my blogging days. Who knows why.

Anyway, I have been stretched pretty thin lately and one of my biggest complaints is laundry. I swear, I don't know how my mom did it with a household of 10 people. Laundry has become my enemy and I can't seem to get a handle on it. I once heard that 2 loads a day keeps the piles away. I was being consistent with doing 2-3 loads a day, but I tell you what, if you slack for even 2 days it's OVER. It's a full time job just keeping up with this family's laundry.

Anybody who says that having 6 kids is easy is totally lying. It is SO hard! Sometimes I feel like I'm losing my mind and it's all I can do to just stay sane. I won't say, "What was I thinking?" Except, I just did.

This was my 12+ loads of laundry waiting to be folded. It's a good thing we don't have guests right now because they would have nowhere to sleep. I better get it all folded and put away before our guests who are coming next week arrive.

I have felt like crap this week. I rarely get sick. RARELY. It's those strong Waite genes I guess.
When I do get sick, it's usually the same thing. It starts in my chest and within a few days I can't talk. I always sound a lot worse than I feel. I have the most awesome friends. I can't even begin to tell you how awesome. My friend Jen, who is one of the most thoughtful people I know came over earlier with a bowl of her "magic soup." She swore it would make me feel better. I really appreciated it, but secretly, I was hoping she would bring over her famous chocolate/peanut butter (low cal) pie. I have been dreaming about it since I tasted it last week. I woke up the other night in a cold sweat after dreaming about it. I WANTED it. No, I NEEDED it.

Well, guess what she showed up with at my door this evening? I couldn't believe it! She said, as she handed it to me, "I'm giving you this, but you HAVE to run 10 miles on Saturday." Not only is Jen my good friend, but she's also my kick-butt trainer.

Nevermind the crummy cell phone photos--this picture doesn't do this pie justice. It is to die for! SO good.

It only took about 10 seconds to look like this^^. And, if anybody touches it while I'm gone tonight, they are dead meat.
Thanks Jen for being so good to me and making all my chocolate peanut butter dreams come true.

24 comments:

Stephanie said...

I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels completely overwhelmed by laundry. Laundry and I have this love/hate relationship going on. Today I worked my tail off getting it to where I can finally see my guest room bed again! Yeah! Emily, you are amazing!

Jen said...

I look at laundry as a journey...not a destination :)

Glad you liked the pie. I hope it does the trick to get you over your cold...BIG run on Saturday!

Christina said...

Hope you feel better Emily! I don't know how you do all you do but you do it amazingly well! Good luck on getting better and your run!:)

Kris said...

That pie looks so yummy. It's bedtime, which means that it's also treat time! I need a snack! Laundry is a pain. Good Luck folding all of that. Glad you have such good friends, Em. You deserve them.

Keira said...

Go girl - you can do it! I was asking my friend Krista about laundry the other day and asked if she ever had her kids wear the same pants the next day - I remember doing that growing up. Right now, I just have my kids strip down and throw EVERYTHING in the laundry EVERY night whether it is truly dirty or not...the laundry pile grows oh so fast. UGH!

I hope you feel better soon - how wonderful that you have such awesome friends!

Memzy said...

1. So sad you are sick. It's one of the great injustices of the world that moms can't "call in sick".
2. I want that recipe! Can you post or email it?

Rob-not-Bob said...

Pie? What pie? There's no pie here.

Margaret Proffitt said...

Mmmmm, that pie looks awesome. I want to make it. Right now. Too bad my pantry will never be well stocked enough to just make something out of the blue. Hope you're feeling better soon. It's not strep throat is it? I think that's what's going around my house.

Elizabeth Bailey Waite said...

I remember the wash day blues very very well. The rule was actually 3 loads a day. My mother used to keep the washer and dryer going 24/7 because she had to wash almost every sheet and blanket in the house ever day as well. Not only that, but had to iron EVERYTHING!!! We didn't have perm press then. Start teaching the kids to do laundry. Start with Kennedy and Caleb and maybe Sarah each doing their own. It will help a lot! Love you

Elizabeth Bailey Waite said...

PS. Forgot to tell you to check out my blog. I actually wrote something

Cristin said...

Laundry is enemy #1. There are "only" 6 of us and it's difficult to stay on top of it. It's crazy!

that pie looks awesome and I hope we get a recipe soon....of course when you have time to torture your friend to get the recipe :)

homegirl said...

Thanks goodness for friends and chocolate! Hope you feel better so you can run that 10 miles Saturday!

Teresa said...

Laundry doesn't bother me so much, but I am comforted to hear you say that having six kids is hard. Laura and I both just wrote blogs about how hard it is handling four kids! How did our mothers do it?? And being sick on top of that is no fun. I am glad you have good friends who can lift your spirits, even if they can't do your laundry or take your kids for the week. :-)

Nicole said...

I am having the same fight with laundry - only we only have 6 in the family. I've just finally admitted that some things are contiunually ongoing. Just rotate where you put the clean piles :)

E said...

Yeah, but do peanut butter and chocolate really go together? I dunno. Sounds weird.

TimW8 said...

That's so cool you have nice friends. That's too bad you have so much laundry. Why not just get disposable clothes. They have disposable everything else.
Maybe that trip to Japan will energize you.

Jenn said...

Oh man, that pile looks all too familiar!!! The two loads a day rule is a good one. Too bad I can't always stick to it... I HATE to fold and put away laundry so one trick that works for me is to fold the clothes right out of the dryer. That way, if it is a week before I get around to folding, everything at least looks wearable when we finally get to it.

ManicMandee said...

I love you and miss you! I'm glad you have a good friend. I wish I could be near you so bad. I know I've said that a million times. That pie looks yummy! And good luck on your 10 mile run. I think you've done that distance before.

tharker said...

Laundry...the bane of every mother's existence. It NEVER ends!

That pie looks so delicious. You have a great friend!

ShelBailey said...

Laundry and dishes are never done....there's ALWAYS more. I try and do two loads a day, except on Sunday, and that barely keeps us up. Of course, it doesn't help that Meg uses two towels every time she showers and puts them in the hamper every time because she's too lazy to hang them up. Or doesn't put her clothes away and they end up on the floor with the dirty ones, then she can't tell them apart and she puts them ALL in the laundry together. Usually right after I think I'm done with laundry. I think if I had SIX kids (even kids as lovely as yours), I'd be looking for a cliff somewhere. :0)

I wish we lived closer so we could help, too. But, good girlfriends are ALMOST as good as family in most cases, and in some cases even better. ;0)

Anna B said...

I'm on mmy way Em. Give me 4 days and I will take ALL that laundry off your hands. You do know how much I love to do laundry, right? No j/k.

Joseph and Tiffany said...

Get better Emily!

Williams Family Dirt said...

I am glad I am not the only one who has laundry piles. ;) Hope you feel better soon and your run goes well!

handmadegiftsarebest said...

Hmmmm. SIX KIds! Laundry!!! I remember. Hmmm I think I am getting sick the first week in May. Too much work!*U*

Just kidding! It will be fun. I agree with your mom. Teach the kids to do their own laundry. I started them at twelve but maybe you should start at 11!

One of the Elders living with us shrunk his nice expensive wool sweater in my dryer! It went from a men's medium to a boys age 8 size. Pretty funny. He was going to show it to his mom and say "look how much I have grown on my mission!" I took a picture of him in it for her to see. she might not think it is so funny though.

Get better soon.

Love Ya!