Monday, August 25, 2008

Gramma School

(McKinley, Sarah and Kennedy- 2003)
Before we moved here to AZ 4 years ago, we had the amazing opportunity to live right next to Rob's parents in WA state. We LOVED it there. It was a great 3 years that we will never forget. Our kids were able to have daily contact with their grandparents and I was able to grow close with my in-laws who I love and admire so much. I miss them terribly.
I believe my sweet Mother-in-law was born to be a grandma. She is exceptional in her role and her grandchildren adore her. While we were living there, my mother-in-law established what she called "Gramma School." She would take the few grandkids that she had living there close and would plan different activities with them that she would do twice a week, just like preschool.
They loved it. My girls still talk about it and love to look through the scrapbook she made for them with pictures from all the different activities. They will cherish those memories for the rest of their lives.
After some inspiration from above, I'm sure, she decided to submit an article she wrote about it to the Ensign. Well, they published it. We got our September issue on Saturday and there on page 66, was her article. My girls were so excited to read a story that was written about them! They were anxious to call grandma and tell her that they saw her story.
Here's the article.

I didn't scan the second page, so you don't get the last sentence. It ends by saying "...touch. I love being a grandma and am grateful for the knowledge that familes can be eternal." (Barbara R. Matson, Washington).

We love you gramma! Thank you for all you have taught us and continue to teach us through your wonderful example.

Photobucket

15 comments:

Jan said...

How exciting. She is the example of Grandma. I can hardly believe that she hasn't written a book. So great. Thanks for letting us know Emily.

Debie Spurgeon said...

That is SO NEAT. I can't believe I know someone famous :)

Pearl Girl said...

I read it too. That is so cool. The art is so cute!!!

Kris said...

This is seriously the coolest thing ever. I have always loved that picture of Sarah, McKinley, & Kennedy. It's so cute. Barbara is one of a kind. She loves being a grandma more than anyone else that I know. My kids adore her, and I appreciate everything that she does for me here. Even if I'm not "really family" she still thinks of me as family! I love it. Thanks Emily for the news.

Cristin said...

that is soooooo cool and exciting! i can't wait to get my issue and read it.

ManicMandee said...

That is so cool. I am gonna read that article tonight!

Judi Oakley said...

I remember every one of those stories. Kennedy would always come tell us about her adventures in Gramma School. She always told us how much fun she had and how much she loved it. I can't believe how long ago that was and little the girls look. That is a precious picture.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the tribute, Emily, it made me cry. I just followed the spirit. The children are so worth it. It has been fun to continue the traditions with as many of the grandkids as I can.

I was surprised and honored to see the art and so much coverage. I seriously thought that it would not be published after it didn't come out in august as they had suggested.

E said...

That is so cool! You're lucky to have such a great mother-in-law.

Anna B said...

That is so awesome. She is a wonderful gramma. I hope I can be that kind of grandma some day. You and your kids are really lucky

Joseph and Tiffany said...

I was skimming through my Ensign this morning and saw that article. That is so neat!

Anonymous said...

MMM...JUST TO SET THE RECORD STRAIGHT. I pale to the countless grammas who have to raise their grandchildren and do it expertly with love, to the countless more who serve as daycare for their grandchildren without charge day in and day out. To the gramma's who can who take their grandchildren on great adventures all over the world or wherever they can spend time.

Stephanie said...

That is awesome!

tharker said...

I just read it today.

Barb,
You are a wonderful Gramma, and your grandchildren are so blessed to have you as such a great example! Loved the article.

Riggs Familia said...

That is so much fun! Barbara is such a neat lady! How fun to have that posted in the Engisn :) That picture of adorable of the girls!