Exhibit C: Toddler's leg
I should seriously recieve the Mother of The Year award for this one. On Monday afternoon as I was going about my business around the house I noticed that Rachel was nowhere to be found. I asked the kids if they knew where she was. Nope. I quickly realized that she was not inside, but probably in the backyard.
As I opened the back door, I heard her screaming and saw that she was face down in the grass and the dog was on her. I was in a panic when I saw her leg. I proceeded to chase the dog around the yard and if I had been able to catch her, I probably would have strangled her to death. We've been having issues with the dog jumping up on the kids and scratching them. This was the last straw and I was ready to call someone to come get her. I picked Rachel up and brought her inside to assess the damage.
Her leg was bad. Really bad. I was in a panic. It was already starting to swell and I was losing it. The above picture was taken the next day and doesn't even begin to capture the nastiness of her wounds.
I called Rob and he was home in 10 minutes. I took her to Urgent Care where they looked at her, cleaned and bandaged her up and sent us on our way. She finally started walking on it yesterday, but it's still pretty swolen and tender.
Here's where I really start looking like an idiot. Yesterday as I went outside to investigate the crime scene I had one of those light bulb moments. You know, where something just clicks and you realize something you should have realized much sooner. I saw that our rose bush that is usually propped up against one of our patio pillars had fallen down. It hit me. I don't think it was the dog, but the stupid rose bush that tore up Rachel's leg. My theory is that she must have tripped and fell in it and got her leg caught in the branches of it. When she tried to get her leg out it got caught on the thorns.
Because Rachel can't tell us what happened, it will remain a mystery. What do you think? Do those scratches look like rose bush or dog scratches.
Go ahead, laugh at me.

23 comments:
I won't laugh at you.
It's so hard to tell which culprit it is. It really could have been either one couldn't it? Hopefully for the dog's sake, it was the bush!
There's no way that "Baby" could have committed such a crime! But those roses look guilty as heck. I say you strangle them! Don't get rid of your dog. But if you need to we'll take her.
It does look like rose bush scratches, I only know this because that's what my rose bush did to me right before I ripped it out. haha Poor baby, it looks painful! I would have suspected the dog too though.
Yeh, that's a tough call isn't it, I guess it could have been either. I think that if it was the dog there wouldn't have been other lighter scratches around the deep ones, so my guess is the bush.
I say it was the "war of the roses"..
They look to thorny cutty to me.
That is such panic times. I am glad that you were without a gun. I think the dog might have been having a funeral today. I hope she recovers quickly. Poor thing.
That picture of Rachel is so cute. Yeah, she's got a bandage on her leg, but it's still so cute. I agree with Jan, hopefully for the dog's sake it was the rose bush. Has the dog ever scratched anyone else that badly? I hope she starts to feel better soon!
It sooper looks like the rose bush! But I woulda already driven to a remote location and dropped the dog off and drove away. But that's just me. Poor Rachey.
OHHH that is so sad. I am glad you realized it must be the bush. Because it is SOOOOOO not easy giving up an animal. If you want to know How I know Check my next post, hopefully tonight. You might be Mother of the year, but I am worst mother of the year.
Yes, Rachey is hurting. Still, it isn't quite the "meat-grinder" scene that was described to me over the phone. I have a hard time seeing the dog make all those scratches. The dog standing over her was purely circumstantial evidence--rebutted by the fact that Rachey seems to have no fear of the dog. Maybe we should set her by the rose bush and see what she does?
Either way babe, ya did just fine.
I would be willing to bet on the rose bush. The dog wouldn't dig at her leg unless she was trying to get to something else. It's just not in their nature. Good thing the dog didn't end up at the pound before you realized the culprit :) I probably would have over-reacted and killed the dog.
That was such a "Mom" moment. I would have killed the dog and asked questions later.
As for Rachel not talking, you might be able to ask her to show you where she got hurt, and she could take you to the rose bush. If she were one of my kids, she wouldn't like to go near the rose bush for a while.
But thanks for the chuckle.
Yikes! We're sorry Rachel (and Emily)! I, too, bet my money on the rose bush. We hope her leg heals quickly and that she gets feeling better soon.
After careful examination, and doing a good "zoom in" on the leg I have made my decision.....it was the bush. There are a couple of lighter scratches on the bottom of her foot, and also what looks like a slight rashy reaction that would only come from the itchy thorns of a rose bush. I also watched an episode of CSI earlier this week, which pretty much makes me a professional now. (And CSI Miami doesn't count)
I think it looks more like rose bush cuts too. Dogs nails are a little wider so the scratches would be too. But that doesn't excuse the dog from being on top of her.
Euthenize the rose bush Emily.
Interesting use of verbage, Amanda. It evokes an odd sence of subtle personification; humorous and odd.
While the bush falling off of its support *might* be analogous to a hopelessly injured human or domestic animal (assuming plants can feel pain... yeah, ok), there would hardly be any "mercy" extended to the rose bush in such an event. Truth be told, the act would probably be more appropriately described as revenge--or even capital punishment. (Just don't expect a pardon from the governor anytime soon.)
you shoud call in a investigator to see if there is skin under the dogs nails???? make that creature take a lie detector test too!
Well, since the scratches are horizontal, my first guess would be the rosebush. But taking her to an Urgent care makes you mother of the year, for sure. I would have my kid covered in band aids--if they're lucky. And if any of the scratches looked deep enough for stitches, I would have used super glue.
Hey You! I'm glad you found me! You have quite the little troop now! What beautiful kids you have :) I can't believe how grown up the two oldest are now.
I have to say it's the rose bush. Although, you said you saw the dog on top of her when you came outside...so that makes me suspicious.
Kristen told me this morning that you're in AZ these days. I have two brothers in that same area. John, the brother just older than I...he needs a girl. If you know of any good ones, let me know. :)
Grandma and Grandpa both think it looks like rose bush scratches. The dog may actually been trying to help her. I didn't see any teeth marks. If a dog wants to hurt someone they usually go at them with their teeth don't they?
she is soooo cute! GIve her husg for us!
I agree with everyone, looks like it was the rose bush. But I like dogs and she is a puppy, and will be over the jumping and scratching soon. Hang in there!
I agree with everyone, looks like it was the rose bush. But I like dogs and she is a puppy, and will be over the jumping and scratching soon. Hang in there!
Post a Comment