Monday, August 3, 2009

Change and The First Day of School

Summer has come and gone for the Matson family and I am just proud that we all survived and have some good memories to show for it. I don't think our summer could have been any more eventful than it was. It almost all seems like a blur.

The biggest change for us is that we have moved. It may only be about .3 miles away from our old house, but moving is just not fun. I probably took about 5 car loads of crap to the Goodwill and I'm sure that I probably should have taken more.

We love the new house and are already in the works of trying to make it permanent. It's huge and perfect for our ginormous family. I am embarrassed to say that we have moved 10 times in our almost 10 years of marriage. It's getting OLD. If we have to do it again, that might just be the nail in the coffin for me.

In other news...

School has started for our kids. I have been anxiously awaiting this day for quite a while. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE hanging out with my kids and miss them when they are gone (sometimes), but the fighting, arguing, constant snacking, mess making...was killing me! They NEEDED to start school. Trust me when I say that.

So, the day finally arrived and I get a text from my friend Jen. This is how our conversation went:

(Jen is white and I'm green)

I really WAS excited. I woke up early and made pancakes and got the kids all spiffed up. We took pictures and Rob left to take Caleb to his first day of High School.


That's right. I have a High Schooler! Super weird and super sad. He was nervous and I was nervous. I re-assured him that he would be just fine. I kept it cool until he left and that's when I went into my bathroom and bawled my eyes out. I love this kid and it just kills me to see him growing up so fast.

My excitement began to wear off after I realized that I really am going to miss my kids. Yes, they fight and make messes, but they are MINE. I don't get to see what they are doing all day and I no longer have control over what they do.

Kennedy: 5th grade

Sarah: 3rd grade

Ren: 1st grade

Rachel and Kennedy have a wonderful relationship. I love seeing them together. Kennedy is like her second mom. Their relationship reminds me of mine and my baby sister Molly's when we were growing up. Rachel cried when Kennedy left this morning.

This is a rare photo of Rachel actually being nice to Tait. She wanted her picture taken with him and for a split second Tait actually trusted her.

This is his, "Why is she hugging me when usually she's pushing me away," look.

I usually take my kids to school on the first day and was ready to do that until they peeked out the window and saw their friends at the bus stop. They begged to ride the bus and so I let them.

The only tears that were shed were mine. I fully expected to be excited when they left, but I have been so depressed today. I'm sure I'll get over it. Probably as soon as they walk in the door and start arguing with each other again.

22 comments:

Debie Spurgeon said...

We've got about 4 more weeks left before school starts. I totally understand the mixed emotions.

a super busy summer makes for some great memories for your kids, you've done well.

Hazel said...

I am pretty sure I am not going to cry. I am trying to get things in order here for the big event. Dentist appointments today. Yuck.

Gates Family said...

You're so cute. I'm sorry you changed your mind. I haven't yet. :) I can't believe Caleb went to High School. You are old. :) I am sure enjoying the no fighting, though I am not sure it is any quiet-er. :)

ManicMandee said...

You're so lucky school has started for you already! I know what you're saying and I don't think you're a bad mom for celebrating. I will be the same way.

Post picks of your new house asap!

Joseph and Tiffany said...

Wow! Caleb's a freshman. That's exciting! Are you all moved in now?

Anonymous said...

4 real your kids r so cute...I don't know what I will do when mine get so big. I want to see the new house!

E said...

Whoa, school starts early in Arizona! My summer is flying by, and I'm not at all in the "school" frame of mind yet. I would move to AZ in a heartbeat tho. Love it here. K, I feel bad that I didn't call you. We had planned to visit Sedona and the grand canyon this weekend and that's it, and we somehow ended up at the biltmore in Phoenix! This trip is so unorganized. We've been going to bed each night, planning to drive up to the GC in the morning, but we literaily have not left our hotel until today. So lazy!!! Next time we'll make it further down your way. We want to check out tucson. I assume we'll get more details on your
new house soon?

Karrie said...

I can't believe you have a high schooler. That's crazy. And your two babies blue eyes are killer- that look on Tait's face is priceless. I'll have two kids in school this year, and I'm excited! I miss my kids when they are gone, too- but I'm thinking my trips to Costco are going to be lots, lots easier!

Now, to get our house done so WE can move!

Christina said...

You are such a great MOM Emily! I can't believe you pulled everything off and still have a blog posted!! You are awesome!:) Your kids look so cute too and that is sweet about Kennedy. What a great experience for her with Rachel!

Memzy said...

Congrats on school starting. I'm counting down the days! I NEED to know more about your move and house. Can't wait!

Pearl Girl said...

That is a great post. Thanks or updating us. the pics are awesome. dang I miss you guys.

Dalana and Mark said...

Congrats on the move and the first day of school! Your kids all look so cute! I can't believe Caleb is in high school! Tait is so grown up looking. Can you believe our boys are almost one?!

Dalana and Mark said...

Congrats on the move and the first day of school! Your kids all look so cute! I can't believe Caleb is in high school! Tait is so grown up looking. Can you believe our boys are almost one?!

Mary said...

The first day of school is always an exciting one. You did good getting them all spruced up. They'll make a great first impression!

Anonymous said...

I, too, can't believe you have a high schooler! Wow!
Caleb sure looked handsome. He is such a great guy. I hope these years are good. I can relate to Kennedy and Rachel...I used to be the second mommy to my Rachel! It makes me soooo happy to see pics of the kids! Thank you!
We are coming soon! We are heading to Phoenix this weekend!
Jonas Brothers~here we come!!!!

tharker said...

It is such a mixed bag of emotions sending the kids back to school. While I'm so done with summer (but still have 4 weeks left, as Deb mentioned) I know I'm going to be sad when that first day comes. Jake starts Kindergarten this year, and I think he's the one that's going to get the most tears (hopefully unseen) from me.

homegirl said...

I so agree with you Emily. I too am so excited for school but the tears always get the best of me! Time flies way too fast!

Lynette said...

Your kids look so happy to be starting school. When I see pictures like that I wonder if I was that excited to go back to school. I know I certainly wouldn't be now. I'm happy that your family has been able to move into a larger house. That should help you keep your sanity!

Teresa Johnson said...

Awww so cute! I'm counting the days down too, just because I'm tired of the "I'm Bored" comment day in and day out! I'm sure I'll be sad too though!

handmadegiftsarebest said...

Thanks for the post. Such cute pictures. they will be a treasure. so hwo was their first day? I'll bet it was great for them and you will continue to love the peace and quiet more. Only, wait, you have two little ones still at home. It can't be too quiet can it?

Anonymous said...

Cute kiddos Em... Love your posts they crack me up!!

Williams Family Dirt said...

Riding the bus is not an option around here, we have to pay for the service. I am a little too cheap for that. Glad you are enjoying your little ones at home!