Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Our Go To Heck Day...

When I was growing up, my mom would often times treat us to a "Go To Heck Day." She would take us out and just spoil us for the day. We would go shopping, out to eat and just have fun. I have great memories of those days and try to duplicate those memories for my children--only to a lesser degree.

So, yesterday I surprised my kids by letting them take the day off of school and take them to the Rodeo here in town. It's a big deal here in these parts (the kids actually have 2 days off of school this week because of it) and after living here for 4.5 years and never going, I thought it was time. Plus, kids got in free yesterday. So, off to the Rodeo we went.


If you are wondering where Rachel is in this picture, she was laying on the floor throwing the temper tantrum of the century. She was NOT having fun and was a complete train wreck the whole time. We were there for maybe an hour before I just packed everyone up and left.

This kid was trying to play the part, but was a bit traumatized by the fact that poor, helpless calves were being tortured.

Ever seen a bigger helping of curly fries? Me either. My friends husband Bill almost finished them all--with a little help, of course.



This was Caleb's favorite part. Huge, nasty hot dog.


The day ended great though. I was determined to redeem the day by taking the kids to our favorite family eating spot. It was really good and Rob was even able to join in on the fun for a little bit.
It was a great day.

15 comments:

Vegas Family said...

Yeah, that hotdog does look pretty nasty...
Sounds like a fun go to heck day. What a good sport you are.

Rob-not-Bob said...

I have fond memories of the rodeos from when I was a kid, but I'm pretty sure I drove my parents crazy too. The worst part was waking up the next morning realizing that I'd fallen asleep before the bull riding started. Dangit!

Nicole said...

We love the rodeo! We try to go every year and of course love the bull riding the best!

Memzy said...

Cute Birthday for Ren and wha?.....a rodeo? Niiiiiice.

ps. it looks so warm there.

Kris said...

Yeah, that weather looks awesome. I can't believe that you went to a Rodeo in Feb. What a fun activity for your kids. You are such a good mom Em.

Pearl Girl said...

Oh man that makes me want to go see a rodeo, love the picture of ren in the hat, too bad you couldn't dress up him and Rachel and recreate that pic of Rob and me. THAT would be so CUTE. and I have lived threw the bday party scene you just described, do you remember the Christmas Chase got a football. Well he has turned out to be THE most grateful gift receiver I have. Sorry for rambling.

E said...

Looks like heck all right.

Karrie said...

I'm comforted knowing that I'm not the only one who had left an event because of a child's behavior. It's mostly Ed. He'll be three soon... here's hoping for some mental maturity soon!

Lynette said...

What fun! Sounds like a great tradition.

Hazel said...

How did I miss this post? Something is wrong with me these days.

Back in the day, rodeos used to be my thing. Shhh, it is a secret that I am not proud of. I had a cousin that was something important and was dragged along all the time. Don't remember the huge portions of food though. Pretty sure my mom packed a lunch.

handmadegiftsarebest said...

thanks for carrying on the rodeo tradition. someday they will all ove it. After all their Grandmp was a rodeo announcer and he was the best ever so we really went to a lot of them and the kids always had fun just playing around if they were not watching.

I agree with Becky. You need one of those cute reencactments of rob and becky's rodeo picture. I have a cute one of Meri Kay and Kendall too. .

ManicMandee said...

Mom called them "Go to Hell Day" right? But you sensored it.

So good to have seen you. I love you!!!!!

Christina said...

Looks like fun! Maybe we will try the rodeo next year. I bet it is way less crowded the day before rodeo days! What a fun tradition to pass down!

Teresa Johnson said...

So, I found your blog the other day. I love this idea and think that maybe I'll try it sometime! Hope all is well with you and your family! :o)

Mariel said...

I love that idea! What a nice mom you are! I know all about those tantrums, they make it tough to stay optimistic. Lovely family! Fun blog.

www.oneshetwoshe.blogspot.com