Monday, July 7, 2008

Just Me and My Boy

It would be an understatement to say that Ren has been feeling a little neglected lately. He has been acting out and I'm starting to wonder where my old Ren is.

I try to take each child on little outings with just me. You know, good one-on-one bonding time. It's also a little break for me too. Well, today was Ren's day. It was long over due and he was pretty excited.

(I really should have cropped myself out of this picture, but the look on his face is priceless)
I love driving in the car when I just have one of my kids with me. I love that we can talk with no interruptions. We talked about "behaviors" and "choices" and "what would Jesus do..." and I think we had some breakthroughs. I love this boy deep.

My boy is OBSESSED with trains. Imagine his excitement when we saw this train on our way! He thought it was pretty cool.

I let him pick his most favorite restaurant for lunch. It happens to be one of mine too. My boy happens to LOVE meatballs!

After lunch, we went to Toys 'R' Us so he could spend his giftcard he got for his birthday 5 months ago. Of course, he picked a train.


We had a great time and I'm hoping that I will now have my old Ren back. Atleast for a little while.

Photobucket

19 comments:

Memzy said...

Yeah, I've had a kid disappear a time or two also. Where do they go during that time? To "crazy kid world" while someone else takes over their body. My oldest did that for a few weeks this summer and we are just now getting him back to normal. Dates with kids are fun!

Karrie said...

I've been having a hard time with my boys lately- they give me a run for my money. I think you wanting to crop yourself out if the picture is funny. I totally sympathize- but the thing is- everyone else thinks you look great, and it is nice to see you in a pic with your kid. He will love it.

Jan said...

Now that's what I call a good mommy and a great time with a great son. How fun was that? Way to fun. Way to go Miss Emily. He will never forget that fun day.

tharker said...

You ar such a good mom Emily.

tharker said...

I mean you ARE. ;)

Kris said...

This is such an awesome idea. I love the picture of the two of you. It looks like you had a great time. I've been the one that's been missing for the past few weeks. I'm sure my kids want a normal mom by now. Hope you are doing good Em. You look great.

Debie Spurgeon said...

You are so right. One on one time is so great. What a fun outing. What perfect timing on the train. I'm always amazed at the one on one conversations, they are priceless.

Anna B said...

Fun times! I need to do that with my kids. They ALL feel neglected.

Dalana and Mark said...

How fun, thanks for sharing. That Ren is such a cute boy! I have always wanted to do the individual date thing w/ my kids, but haven't yet. It's hard to find the time. Thanks for the inspiration!

Kornie Pie said...

OH MY GOODNESS! I CAN'T WAIT TO SEE HIM!! I miss you all...can't wait to go to chilis with you! :) haha love you

Riggs Familia said...

Fun! That's a great idea to do that with your kids! He looked like he had a great time. How often do you try to do it with each kid?

Williams Family Dirt said...

That looks like so much fun! I will have to start doing that with my boys...although sometimes I think Mommy disappears too!

Joseph and Tiffany said...

That's really cute. Having dates with your kids is a great idea so I think I'm going to have to snab that idea and start doing that when mine are a little older. Ren's smiles were priceless in those pictures. I can tell he really loves his mom.

Gates Family said...

How fun. You are such an inspiration. You're a great mom.

Lynette said...

You are such a great mother, you're children are really blessed to have you. I can't wait till my boys are old enough that alone time with them will mean as much to them as it does with me. You can see in Ren's smiles that it means everything to him!

homegirl said...

I think your doing a great job in taking time out for each child. It makes them feel special! Congratulations on your new baby that's on the way!

Cristin said...

Your such a good mom. :) I get so busy with life that it's not till my kids act possessed do I realize that they need a more mom attention and time.

E said...

What a cute boy! Being so dang cute always helps when they're going through a rough phase.

I always have one-on-one time with Homer since his older brothers are in school, but Cord and Gus usually go as a pair. I'll have to pry them apart and do one-on-one stuff with them, too. Thanks for the inspiration!

Christina said...

Ren is so lucky to have such an in tune Mom!! I know it is hard to divide attention. What a great idea. I think I am going to have to steal it! I always feel bad about leaving one behind so I go on outings with all the kids and it is never that fun because well they just get kind of crazy all together!! What a great way to give the one on one they need every once in a while!!