Tuesday, April 29, 2008

To my oldest

Dear Caleb,
It was 13 years ago today that you came into this world. I knew the moment I saw you and held you, my life would never be the same. I always knew I wanted to be a mother and although I was young and so naieve, I never felt more love and joy than the day you were placed in my arms.
You taught me so much, helped me grow and blessed my life in ways I never thought possible.

You made me smile. You made me laugh.


You loved me for who I was and allowed me to learn and grow.

You put up with my flaws and were always patient with me.

You had a smile that could melt my heart. You were my buddy and I loved nothing more than to be with you.

You loved to climb trees and run and play. Life was not easy for you when you were little, yet you took it all in stride. You were always so protective of me. You were forced to grow up a little faster than I would have liked, but your strength and spirit kept me strong.


You had big changes in your life, but you were happy, because I was happy. You always adjusted so well to change, and I am so grateful that I was able to find someone that you could look up to and admire--someone who loved you like you were his very own.

I'm so very proud of all


that




you



have



accomplished.


I thank my Heavenly Father everyday for sending you to me. I am so very proud of the young man you are becoming and the wonderful example you are to your younger brother and sisters. You make being a mother so easy and I love you so very much. Happy Birthday.

Love,
Mom

Photobucket


21 comments:

Rob-not-Bob said...

I am also greatful for such a great kid. He is such a good example to his brothers and sisters.

On the flipside, he should be thankful for such a great mother. You are lovingly devoted to your children, Emily, and it shows. If Caleb can learn that, then maybe this won't all go to his head, jump-starting his teenage years.

Rob-not-Bob said...

There's a teenager in my house?!

Pearl Girl said...

Happy B-day Bubby :0) (sorry you probably HATE being called that now) from all the Muirs. We love you so much and we miss you too. I wish you didn't have to keep growing up, but I know its necesary.

BTW Em, WHY haven't you changed since you were 19. ITS NOT FAIRRRRRRRRR!

ShelBailey said...

Oh fine, make me cry when I already have a cold!

Caleb is a special kid, but he comes from a special mom, so that's not that unexpected.

We love you guys and Happy Birthday, Caleb.

ShelBailey said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Memzy said...

Caleb rawks. My first fave memory of him is when we drove in your car up to the Oregon reunion and he kept saying he wanted to stop at Mickey-Donalds for lunch.

And it's true, you haven't aged a day.

Debie Spurgeon said...

I was just thinking the same thing as Becky, you have always been absolutely gorgeous!!!
What a fabulous tribute to your teenage son :) (scary I know), I love seeing him grow through the pictures.
Happy Birthday to him.

Jan said...

What a beautiful tribute to a wonderful son from a beautiful and wonderful Mother. I am so proud of him and of you.

ManicMandee said...

I love Caleb so much! I remember getting to live with him and watch him daily when we were single. Wonderful days and memories. You are a great mom too Emily! This was such a sweet post!

Anonymous said...

We are so proud of both of you. and we are so grateful to Rob for finding you and bringing you into our family along with Kennedy too. What a wonderful blessing. and now Sarah, Ren, Rachel and ??

You are beautiful Em but most importantly, your are beautiful on the inside too. It doesn't go to your head!

Happy Birthday to Caleb! He is going to be a fun teen.

tharker said...

I can't believe he is a teenager already!

Happy belated Birthday Caleb!

E said...

You're lucky to have such a great, smart, happy kid in your family. Teenager? Eeeek!

Happy Birthday Caleb!

emily w. said...

That was so sweet. You made me cry.

Williams Family Dirt said...

What a beautiful letter to your son! Happy Birthday Caleb!

Anonymous said...

What a sweet post - isn't it nice to have a great son as the oldest. Christian is only 8, but I find such wisdom and strength inside of him.

by the way - how/where did you get that cute Emily signature at the end of each post??

Hot Pants said...

Caleb was the cutest kid! Everytime Dwight saw him he'd say "hi Caweb" and Caleb would always say "It's Ca-Web not Caweb". Happy birthday!

Kris said...

This was a very sweet post Emily. Caleb is a good kid and he's so lucky to have you and Rob as his parents. I'm so shocked with how old he is. It's crazy. These pictures of him are so adorable! How fun!

Cristin said...

OH MY GOSH, your a mother of a teenager???????

Happy Birthday Caleb!

Shed said...

I'll never forget when Caleb sang the Star Wars theme song at the family reunion. I am his favorite uncle.

Anna B said...

I love your tribute to Caleb. He is such a good kid and I love him too! Happy Birthday Caleb. Thanks for being Brigg's #1 cousin.

Amber Waite said...

This is by far one of the sweetest letter I've ever read. You are such an amazing mom and Caleb is such a special young man. I can't believe he's a teenager already. Time sure goes by fast.