Monday, April 21, 2008

Camping Adventure 2008

We are back from one of the most dirty, wild, crazy, stressful, freezing cold FUN camping trips EVER! We had a great time with the Butler's. I had one of the best times ever with my sister Anna and we for sure had some good bonding time. The kids had so much fun with their cousins. There isn't much that makes me happier than seeing my kids having fun and making memories with their cousins. I have such fond memories of camping trips with my cousins and it was great to sit back and watch our kids spend good, quality time together. Yes, there were some fights, but overall they all got along great! I have never felt more discustingly dirty in my life, but it was worth it. I was proud of myself that I was able to just watch my kids roll around in the dirt for 2 days and not lose my mind. There was no showering involved on this trip. I am still not going to say that I "enjoy" camping, because saying that would be a long shot. I completely enjoyed the company and the beauty around me, but the whole process of camping is almost unbearable. There is so much work involved and I am not afraid to admit that I don't know if I'm the 'camping type.' The fact that we had an air mattress malfunction didn't help the situation. Pregnant lady sleeping on hard, rocky ground=misery. My wonderful husband tried his hardest to make things comfortable, and the second night was definitely much better than the first. We got home last night and I took the longest shower I've ever taken. The kids all got squeaky clean and went to bed early. Today I have a serious mountain of smoke smelly laundry to do and a long list of other tasks that must get done this week. **Stay tuned for the surprise of a lifetime. Hopefully I'll get to blog about it in a day or two.

These girls had a great time. There is some truth to the saying, "Three's a crowd" though.


Caleb and Brigg got to put their scouting skills to the test and they had a great time!

This was day 1 at the Grand Canyon. We took a little hike along the rim where the kids got to look for fossils.

This was Rachel on day 1. She looks pretty clean compared to day 3.


Ren and Tucker got along better than they did at Christmastime. They actually talked Pokemon and such. It's amazing what happens when 2 boys can find a common ground!


Have you ever seen a more dirt covered girl?


I love this picture of 6 of the 10 kids all in a row eating together.


This was my saving grace! Being able to throw Rachel in the car for a couple hours at a time to watch a movie saved me. Chasing a toddler around a dirty campground for hours on end is not on my list of fun things to do.

Photobucket






9 comments:

tharker said...

That last picture is hilarious!! Dirty face and glued to a movie...love it!

I am not much a camper either. I don't do well with the dirt, but it's worth it because my kids and husband love it.

Ahh, the smoky smelling laundry...yuck! Have fun washing ;)

Can't wait to hear the "surprise of a lifetime".

Jan said...

What a crack up almost. I thought I was in the back road of Tennessee. Looked like a blast though. Its so funny seeing them in the car affixed to the television. Get them away from it for a couple of days and its like they have come from the jungle and have never seen one before. So cute. Well I hope the clean up went well and glad you could get a nice shower. Great post Emily and your family is so great and growing.

Cristin said...

Kennedy's dirt covered face says it all! lol It looks like the kids had fun at least. :) Kudos to you for going camping while pregnant. We made the mistake of doing that and we ended up coming home a day early cause I couldn't take another night of sleeping on a crappy air mattress. But I'm kind of wussy like that. I'll have to try camping again, for the kids sake. :)

Debie Spurgeon said...

Your kids are going to remember this as an awesome adventure for the rest of thier lives.
Your great for taking this one on.

Kris said...

Camping is not my favorite thing either. But you are right, the memories are priceless. I love all the pictures. It's always hard for me to not get totally grossed out watching my kids eat their food with dirt all over them, the food, and their hands & faces. I'm so glad that you were able to go camping with Anna. Looks like a fun time! I'm anxiously awaiting the surprise blog post!

Eliza said...

Emily you are my hero. I really have never even had the desire to pack up and family and head for a campsite but who knows maybe one day. I know my husband would be all for it. My question to you is would you do it again?

Can't wait for the surprise. You're such a blog tease.

Hot Pants said...

Air mattresses are the biggest scam out there. I have never in my life slept on one that stays full, even when it was fresh out of the box. I'm glad you had fun. I hate camping too....unless it's at Pismo...with a trailer....with a bathroom.

By the way, the black crow you caught in your family picture looked ominous.

emily w. said...

How fun! You make me want to attempt this with my family. First I will have to convince my husband. He is NOT outdoorsy.

I can't wait to hear your "surprise of a lifetime"

Anna B said...

That was the best campout evre. Thanks for the firewood too. I can't wait to try it again...PLEASE! I would've camped another week just to be with you guys. Thanks for the memories.