This morning I got a call that I have always feared getting. It was my O.B. doctor. I knew immediately that it wasn't good. She asked me if I remembered doing all the blood work at my appointment a couple weeks ago. Of course I did. They were testing for all those genetic disorders and diseases that I never even think twice about or really even worry because I have 5 healthy children and really no family history of anything abnormal. Well, my doctor told me that the blood work was positive for Down Syndrome. She said that it doesn't mean that my baby has it, but that my blood work indicated that it was a possibility. I have to go see a genetic councelor and have a level 2 ultrasound and possibly and amnio. I have my level 2 ultrasound scheduled already for a week from today, but I asked the doctor if I could get in this week just to put my mind at ease or at least KNOW. She said they would try, but I'm not holding out hope for that to happen. As soon as I hung up the phone I lost it. I had my good cry and now I'm ready to just deal with whatever is meant to be. I will take this baby anyway it comes and I know that the Lord knows what I can and cannot handle. I also have learned that worrying myself crazy about something that may not even have a bad outcome is a waste of time. We are just praying that it turns out to be nothing and we have a healthy baby. Any prayers on our behalf would be really appreciated. I'll keep you all posted.
**UPDATE**I was able (by some miracle) to get my ultrasound and G.T. appointment moved to tomorrow. So, we should know more tomorrow. I'll update as soon as we know anything.**
Tuesday, April 8, 2008
A call from the doctor
Posted by Emily at 11:14 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

14 comments:
You will be in my prayers. Love you!
Our cousin tested positive for this test also, and her baby was perfectly healthy. Let us know the results of the next tests. We'll be thinking of you. Take Care and don't worry.
You will be in my prayers tonight. I can't imagine how scary even the possibility of this must be. I too had a friend whose blood work was positive and later testing showed everything was normal. Whatever happens, this beautiful spirit will be blessed to be a part of your family. And your family will be blessed in return.
Wow! Em, you are strong, and now it's my turn to be praying for you! We are getting good at this lately, huh?? Whatever happens, you will be able to take it! Good luck, and yes, please keep us updated!
I also know a ton of women who tested positive for Down Syndrome with this test and found out from the ultrasound that everything was okay. And when I had the bloodwork done for this test, it came back NEGATIVE for Spina Bifida. It is HIGHLY innacurate.
That being said, I know how scary it is to hear that something might be wrong with your baby. I will be thinking of you and praying for you tonight. I'm so glad that they got you in tomorrow. Whatever the outcome, this baby is a wonderful blessing, and your family is just where he/she needs to be.
I love ya. Hang in there today.
Yes Emily, you will be prayed in our family tonight. There is a lot of hope in this comment section. Take care and your always in the best of hands. Don't forget that.
You have a wonderful family of support and prayers too. It will be okay.
You will definitely be in my prayers and my thoughts. I am happy for you that the appointment was moved up!
When I had my ultrasound for Jessie they found a bright spot on her heart, something that is associated with Down Syndrome. My OB said that it increased my chances of a Downs baby by twice, but since I didn't do the bloodwork for the birth defects, they couldn't tell for sure, and I declined anything further (no amnio)because as long as the rest of the anatomy was fine, I was okay with whatever came. Down Syndrome is nothing compared to a defective heart or other life threatening thing, in my mind. Jessie ended up being fine. Heavenly Father knows what you can do, and if you can find out for sure, you can educate yourself and prepare. I wish you peace of mind.
::prayers::
Great comments from friends and fam. Hope you are feeling a little more at ease. I want a call today.
Wow, Emily. This is scary. I'm confident you will be able to handle whatever is thrown your way. I don't know of anyone ever testing positive for this, but it's reassuring to read that it turned out to be OK for others. Hang in there.
Wow! We will love this baby no matter what. Downs babies are very special but they take extra care and they give extra love.
that said, I am so glad that I didn't read this before you called today and gave me the results.
You and the baby are always in our prayers by name. As much name as we have at this point anyway.
I won't give away your news.
Thanks for calling!
Love Mom M
Em you and your family are so loved and will be in many prayers tonight. Please keep us posted and you are right your Heavenly Father does know. :)
Hugs and prayers!
Post a Comment