Saturday, February 9, 2008

A Child's plea

I am not an amimal person. Let me repeat. I am not an animal person. Caleb has been begging for years to get a dog. Of course, the answer has always been no way. Ever since our bad experience 7 years ago with "Holly" (Caleb's Christmas dog), I vowed to NEVER get a dog again. Actually, it runs much deeper than just that one bad experience. Take my childhood for example. My brother's spent countless summers growing up tormenting and abusing defensless animals. Then, after moving out to 'Highpoint' we spent countless summers burying all the dogs that would be killed on the road in front of our house. So, it's probably more that I have had horrible luck with animals than the fact that I really don't like them. Yes, they stink, mess up my yard, take too much attention that I don't have time to give them and they cost money to feed. The Matson family just does not do pets. It's just luck or a miracle that we still have Caleb's fish we got over a year ago. Well, after many failed attempts at begging me for a dog, Caleb has become desperate. I got the following email from him today (he's in PHX this weekend):
Mom,
I have had serious cravings for a dog just like your cravings for Bakersfield High Nachos!! I did my homework and went on www.petfinder.com and found a black labrador retriever. i'm not trying to force anything on you but just look at the attachment. It should give information about labs and I put a specific ad for a balck lab on there too(this lab lives in tuscon). I also made $40 pulling weeds today and i have $20 saved up already. So, if your wondering, yea im pretty much begging you. We can talk more once I get home on Sunday.Yea i know I sound really jumpy right now cause' i am but i want you to know me Judi and Dad talked this over and we came up with different ideas on how i could show you i'm responsible. Just to make you wonder i have a full pitch planned for you. Labrador Retrievers Do not shed, good, no GREAT with kids they need to be walked every day (i have full plan on where when and how i'm going to walk this dog) They do not need to be groomed and don't grow to be very big. I've got this whole thing planned out but like i said we can talk more when i get home. I really would appreciate it if you would take this into consideration. Love Ya!

That left me speechless and guilty. Am I doing my child a major disservice by now allowing him the opportunity to have his own dog? Will he never let me forget it if I don't?

21 comments:

tharker said...

Major questions come to mind about this dog:

Is it a puppy? Black Lab puppies are ridiculously cute, but CRAZY! We had one for only 10 months. He was sweet and great with the kids, but destroyed our yard, and almost destroyed our air conditioner.

Labs are FANTASTIC dogs. Once they are 3-4 years old anyway. Just a word of caution.

They also have huge amounts of energy and need to be walked RELIGOUSLY.

That being said, I do think that Caleb is actually old enough now to handle it. What a great way for him to learn responsibility, by caring for this dog. My kids begged and pleaded. They said "We'll clean up the poop, and we'll walk him, and feed him" Right. Who got to do it? Moi. But my kids are a lot younger than Caleb, and you know how their attention span is at this age.

Anyway, just some food for thought for ya. And no you are not a horrible mom for not letting him do this up until this point.

Jenn said...

Emily,

We've had our black lab for about a year now. We love him but there are some things I wish I knew before we got him. You'd better call me before Caleb gets home!!! For starters, I have to disagree with the 'labs don't shed' and 'don't get too big' claims...Jackson is almost 80 pounds and will probably top out at 90 and sheds so much that if it wasn't in the 30's at night right now, I'd shave that dog bald!!! It's also much more expensive to care for a dog than I thought possible-between the food, toys, treats, training, vet visits, vaccinations, replacing destroyed property, etc. Still, if we had it to do over again, we would believe it or not. Anyway, give me a call if you want to chat!

Jenn

Cherise said...

stick to your guns!! my parents got me a dog when I was 15. The dog was terrible and when I got married Graham hated it, so my poor parents are still stuck with him 11 years later. I feel awful, I had good intentions... but, even at 15 I didn't hold up to my end of the deal.
Oh, and I won't bore you with our details on our current dog, but lets just say -Graham swears he'll never get a dog again... and I am sure you have seen him a time or two running loose in the neighborhood.
Tough decision, glad its you and not me! If you did consider taking him up on his offer, maybe consider a less hyper breed? Labs aren't good until they are like 5years old... that is after they have torn everything up. They need lots and lots of attention! (good dogs in the long run though) best of luck! -come get that nacho cheese tomorrow -k-?

eekareek said...

First of all, Labs shed year round and they shed a lot(but if you get a labradoodle-a lab mixed with a poddle-they don't shed). They are puppies for about 2 years and are hyper. They are also big dogs. But they are my favorite breed, very nice and friendly. I think he deserves a chance at a dog. Let him feel like you trust him but also expect to do work with it also. It would be a good experience for him and lots of good learning opportunies. Good luck.

Vegas Family said...

Emily, I know exactly how you feel. I am a person that does not care for animals. I have never like them and they are a lot of work and mess. The shedding in my house grosses me out and causes my 13 year old to have allergies.

Anyhoo, I did break down and let them have a dog. They did even manage to get me to allow 2 additional dogs, 2 bunnies and a turtle. We have 3 little 3 lbs dogs that are actually great pets live in the back yard and very easy. They have tiney little poops that are turned to dust in the sun leaving NO MESS.

It is a huge sacrafice on your part. However, Caleb pleaded a great case and seems to show and understand what it takes to be a pet owner. I say make a written agreement as to what you expect from him and rules that you would have for the dog. Make sure the kids all understand the rules and responsibilies. Then start shopping for that perfect dog.

If the experience turns bad you can always leave your gate open and let the dog accidentally run away....I didn't just say that?

Anna B said...

Okay, take some advice from you Big Sister who has always felt the same as you.
Every boy needs a dog. As cliche as that sounds its almost always true. I am not an animal lover and never will be but that boy of yours is a very good boy who in my opinion will be responsible and do what he says. You've met our dog and you know how I feel about her but I wouldn't get rid of her. She's a part of our family now. Bite the bullet sister and let that kid have a dog...maybe not a lab or a puppy but let him have a dog. Love ya & good luck.

Meri Kay said...

Emily, I am faced with the same problem from Danielle. She has been begging for a dog for quite some time. We tried and Aussie, it shed and bit the neighbors. She is now earing money to buy what we hope to be the perfect dog. It is going to be a Maltese, because they don't shed, they are small and we can take it with us, and it's poop is smaller. she has a jar on the counter and is sacrificing her hot lunch (she makes her own cold lunch every day and puts the money in the jar). She is also earning an allowance. If she can do all that until summer then we will go shopping for the puppy.
Labs can be great family dogs but they do shed and will destroy everything in their path for about 3 years. You would need to go to obedience school too. Good luck! I feel for you. Love, Meri Kay

Memzy said...

When I hear "every boy needs a dog" I try to put my fingers in my ears and hum a little tune. Denial works for me.

Williams Family Dirt said...

My two cents worth of information...

Labradors are very crazy puppies, but once they get past the puppy phase (which is the first two years) they calm down and stop chewing everything. He will need to go to training if you don't want holes dug, and your outside furniture/toys chewed up... etc.

Secondly, they do shed, all the time, not as much as most dogs because they are considered short hair. I agree if you would like limited shedding try a labradoodle (poddle-lab mix) they are a great dog, but a new breed so they are pricey. My SIL has one and it is a great dog.

Third, they are a pretty good sized dog, at least 70-90 pounds. You have to decide how big you want this dog to get!

My final thought...Yes, children, not just boys, should have a dog. They teach so many life lessons that no other animal can. I was not a dog person until we had Katie--she was our compromise, I wanted a cat and Eric wanted a Rotwieler. (I now hate cats, and find them selfish and annoying.) She taught me so much even as an adult, and she was great for my kids. I can't wait to get another dog!

If you are willing to get a dog for your children you need to find one that fits your needs as well, there are lots of internet websites to help your family find the best dog, because in the end you will grow to love this dog, and ultimately will be the one to take care of it when Caleb is grown!

Kornie Pie said...

OMG...........hey my mom went through the same thing with matthew...just ask her for some advice. but that caleb i just love him. He is so dang smart and sweet. Thats awesome he is trying to show responsibility hey you know what...he's not your little caleb anymore he's growing up right before your eyes. :) Thats crazy huh he will be a teenager this year! AUGHH!! anways~love you

ManicMandee said...

How can you resist a plea like that? Just tell him that you'll get the dog but shoot it as soon as he stops caring for it. Easy enough. Or worse you could turn the dog over to Sherod for some major torture death sentence.

Natalie said...

I love hearing all this because ever since we moved everyone has been wanting a dog. Even me a little bit, but I am not always sure. My kids want a yellow lab and I am thinking maybe a little smaller. I do think though- as annoying as it is for the mom- that kids benefit from having a dog.

Rob-not-Bob said...

I had a dog or two as a kid. Always ended badly; disappointing. I like dogs and think it would be great, but the question to me is, will the joy that Caleb and the kids get from having a dog last long enough to outweigh the heartache? Will there be enough glee to offset your own frustrations as the kids inevitably let the dog in the house and you clean up its muddy pawprints twice each week? Do you remember Holly? The shark on the kitchen floor? Digging up the dead parakeet by accident? How well Caleb cleaned up after that bird?

No?... I guess we're ready then.

E said...

Dogs really gross me out, but I don't know how you could resist that plea. That was so cute. My kids definitly aren't ready for a dog, but if they wrote me a letter like that, I might be tempted to give in. Thank goodness they haven't.

Anyway, we bought our kids a tortoise last August that will eventually be able to live outside in our backyard and fend for itself (right now, it's smaller than the palm of my hand, and subject to birds of prey). It's SO low-maintenance, the kids absolutely LOVE it (Gus plays with it almost everyday), and it doesn't smell or gross me out. It's actually really cute and has a sweet personality. I HIGHLY recommend this as a pet, perfect for Arizona, too.

Pearl Girl said...

No advice from me, I like Memzy's advice best. J/K calebs a pretty responsible kid, I am sure whichever decision you make, it will be HARD.

Kris said...

We have a dog and I didn't want one from the beginning. But as long as Jack promised that Buddy would stay outside, I was OK with it. We have had Buddy for 3 years and Tyler does pretty good taking care of him. He doesn't love it, but he does it. Jack thinks every kid should have a dog, which is why we have one. It does teach kids to be responsible and Caleb is old enough to take care of him. It's nice that my kids are not scared of animals now. Porter will go out and I'll find him inside Buddy's kennel. Nasty, I know, but it's cute. It will be a hard decision. Good Luck!

Pearl Girl said...

Kristen just reminded me of something. How will the other kids react, are they (rachel and Sarah) afraid of dogs. Why don't you try dressing caleb up like a dog and catch Rachels reaction on video for us, so we can see for sure. ha ha ha

Karrie said...

Labs get to be BIG, they have lots of energy (read: annoying), and they are great with kids. They are cute/beautiful. But they are BIG. Don't be fooled. Give him some kind of test to see if he is willing to take the responsibility- in the middle of a video game make him turn it off and go for a walk or something and see his reaction. I don't know. And then look at a little smaller dog. (We gave Lucy the Lab to my mom because I couldn't handle an 80 pound year old while prego.) Animals are good for kids, and responsibilty is good for kids, but it is hard. Good luck.

Anonymous said...

I wasnt payin any attention to the dog thing. I was paying attention to the fact that him and his dad discussed how they could get you, his mom to agree. you all seem to have a great relationship and understanding. I am envious. Give me advice!!

Mary said...

I recommend a miniature schnauzer. Sara had one and it didn't shed, was very smart, wasn't too big, and a lot of fun. He became Gus' dog and was a real favorite. But, of course, every dog is a lot of work and can be messy and destructive. I liked the advice about having him really work hard to earn the dog, so that he has enough invested in it to give him a stronger desire to take care of him. Good luck.

Unknown said...

Now as some of my cousins know, I happen to love dogs. But timing is everything. We tried having a lab puppy when Maggie was still a toddler, and it was so incredibly stressful. The accidents, the nipping of the kids heels,jumping etc.
When you're still changing diapers, or potty training your children, adding a puppy to the mix that will also require potty training may put you over the edge. Thank goodness our lab mysteriously disappeared.

With that being said, we got a puppy last spring, and I absolutely adore her. Maggie my youngest, is now eight years old and so we were better prepared for the puppy training.
We bought a boston terrier. The first week of crate training she would cry this very loud agonizing, pathetic cry every night. she did adjust, but it was torcher.
We also had to put her on a very strict potty regimen to avoid accidents. She is now 8 mo old and she has grown out of most of her bad habits. She still likes to kill and destroy stuffed animals, the heels of my black shoes, and rolls of toilet paper, but she is house trained.

Another consideration is the cost. the purchase, toys, crate, spay, immunizations, dental care, etc. We've probably spent well over $2000 on her, not including food.

With a baby on the way,I would really think about what this would mean for you. Yes, dogs are a wonderful thing for kids, but it is like bringing another family member/baby into the home. If you do decide, I would look at smaller breeds. We chose the boston because of size, temperment and easy maintenance. She sheds, but not much.

If a lab is a must have, I know that we have a blind school in the area that trains dogs for the blind. when dogs fail to meet criteria for being a guide dog, the dogs are put up for adoption, So what you get is a well trained (including potty) older puppy. all the hard work is done for you.
one of my patients have one, and she is wonderful. She'll even go to the bathroom on Que. Anyway that may be an option for you
Best of luck to you,