Wednesday, December 12, 2007

What I've been doing...

Every year is a bit of a struggle trying to find the perfect gift to give to friends, neighbors, V-T's, etc..., but this year I thought I had the perfect idea! Well, it wasn't actually my idea, it was this persons, but I thought it was such a cute idea, I would copy it. Let me tell you, it is a lot more work than I thought it would be. One of these jars takes an ENTIRE batch of homemade cookie dough! That's 2 sticks of butter, 2 eggs, 2.5 cups of flour etc... Let's just say I didn't know what I was getting myself into. The jars didn't seem that big to me when I bought them. I bought 10 jars thinking, no problem, this will be the easiest gift project yet. Not so. Anyway, this is what has consumed me for the past few days and I'm not even done. My kitchen is a disaster and I can't stop eating the cookie dough. What are you doing this year for give-outs?

THEN, there is finals. I have 1 tonight that I'm not so ready for and a paper to turn in tomorrow night, then I'm done until next semester. I am really looking forward to the break and spending some much needed time with the kiddos and hubby.

14 comments:

Kris said...

Emily, I love how honest you are! It's great! I love getting and giving the neighbor gifts, but I hate trying to think of such a cute idea. Plus to make it cost effective, and easy, and fun, is not the easiest thing to do! It looks so cute, and I would love to get one from you! I'm making homemade chocolate suckers for mine, and I'm attaching a tag! That's it! Great post Em!

Anna B said...

Wow, you are so good. I have to do neighbor gifts this year and need a good, easy idea, our neighborhood gets crazy with gifts. I hope some of your crafty friends post some fun ideas. Good luck on your final.

Anonymous said...

Hi emily your jar looks delicious. Wish I was a neighbor! Good luck with your finals. I have my last tomorrow too! Have read one chapter in the entire book. YIKES!!

emily w. said...

Your jars are so cute! I do the same thing...jump in with both feet and THEN discover how much time/money something will cost. I'm sure your friends and neighbors will love them and know how much work was involved.

One of my easiest and favorite homemade gifts is chocolate dipped pretzel rods. Just get the long pretzel rods, melt some chocolate, dip half-way up and then roll them in either nuts or crushed up candy canes. You can put them in cellophane gift bags w/ a cute ribbon. Really easy and cheap!

The cutest gift we ever got was an old fashioned root beer bottle w/ a small bag of microwave popcorn tied to it and a tag that said, "Pop, Pop, Fizz, Fizz...Oh what great friends you is!" There was one for each member of the family. How cute is that!

Ok, I think I've sufficiently rambled long enough.

E said...

If you want to make it simple, I would suggest buying pre-made cookie dough at the store, and squeezing it into the jars.

Last year, Gus's teacher gave me a jar with all the dry ingredients for cookies, and we just had to add the wet ingredients (it was all layered in a pretty way).

Amy has lots of ideas. She told me her friend gave out boxes of muffin mix with a note that said "you're gettin' muffin for Christmas" --that was my favorite idea, I'm going to copy it.

Vegas Family said...

Those look very cute but yes a lot of work.
I handed a jugs of root beer with a jar of chili wraped together with a bow and a tag that read, Have a root'n toot'n holiday!
It was silly and simple.

Pearl Girl said...

thats cute Em, I am glad to know that I won't try it. I did the cookie mixes (dry ingredients) layered in a jar. Mckinley helped me and it was fun (and messy) we made a dozen It was probably about $1 a jar? I am just finishing making them look cute today. I also did soup mixes with all the dry ingredients too. Its got rice beans, bouilion, onions and spices. Its fun to give a bag of tortilla chips with it for extra special friends, otherwise I don't. anyway I did both of those, and my kids make fleece scarves for their friends and teachers. I didn't help them at all it was great and they were so proud, I just used what I had on hand. anyway I feel like I am not making sense anymore. my friend gave out cute cellophane bags with a few orange slices, lime slices, cloves and a few cinnimon sticks. It smells so good on the stove I have it cooking right now. Totally cheap too.

ManicMandee said...

How do you do all you do? You are insane. The jars are super cute. I'm extremely impressed.

hayley said...

I like your idea! cute gift.

Hazel said...

TIT(this is tom)I have a good idea, when we were kids me and tim would make cookies filled with boogers, spit, nasty spices, cleaning products, etc.. wrap them up in pretty bows and leave them on your neighbors door steps. It's the perrfect secret santa gift and your neighbors will think it was as funny as we did.

Cristin said...

This is the cutest idea! I'll have to borrow that idea for next year.

Anonymous said...

Wow, that is a wonderful gift. Everyone will love it. My suggestion is to give them early and then they will remember you! They are so lucky and you are so good!

Cherise said...

that is so cute!! I love it! I don't have any great ideas. It seems like all of my bright ideas, aren't so bright. They end up being quite involved. Good luck on that!!
Super cute idea though!
Cherise

Memzy said...

Cookies are gooooood. But if you want a little early holiday cheer you'll have to visit our blog. My side still hurts from laughing.