I have had a lot on my mind today. Mostly thoughts about Conference and the talks that were given. I love Conference weekend for many reasons. I love the spirit that fills our home when we are listening to and watching conference. I love that I get my family all to myself for 2 days while we relax and listen to the words of the prophet and church leaders. I just feel a little bit stronger a little more motivated and determined to do better and be better.
It's funny, as a child I always looked forward to conference weekend because it meant we didn't have to get up and get ready for church. There were only a few times where we didn't have cable and had to actually go down to the church and sit in those uncomfortable chairs while trying not to go completely nuts for 2 hours at a time. I am so grateful for my parents who taught me young the importance of faithful church attendance. It was never an option to miss church unless we were VERY sick. Getting up and going to church every Sunday was just something that we did without question or complaint. I appreciate so much their examples of faithful, dedicated service. I am grateful for their testimonies that they shared with us often. I am grateful for the spirit that they would bring into our home. I am grateful for the family prayers, family home evenings and scripture study we would have. Those are the things that have shaped who I am. Those are the things that have helped build my own testimony and have instilled in me the values that I have today. I often wonder what I would be like if I hadn't had such great examples as parents.
All the talks touched me, but a talk that really struck a chord was Sister Beck's talk entitled: "Mother's Who Know." I needed this talk. We as mothers know what we should be doing, but often forget about the things that we ARE doing. I spend too much of my time feeling guilty about all the things that I'm not doing perfectly as a mother. I don't spend enough time focusing on the things that I am doing a pretty good job at. I know that my children know that I love them. I know that they know I have a testimony of the gospel. But, do they know that they come before laundry, dishes, my school-work or even my favorite TV shows? Too often I focus my attention on things that don't matter, distracting me from what matters most. I love being a Mother. I just want to be the best Mother I can be. Thank you Sister Beck.
Monday, October 8, 2007
Thoughts
Posted by Emily at 8:59 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

6 comments:
Absolutely.
I loved Sister Beck's talk also and needed to hear it too. It is nice to be reminded that our first job is to be a mother.
Nice post Emily. Amen.
Love you.
You put things so beautifully. It reminded me about a post you did about a book your read Something about 3 c's? what was it again? I've been meaning to get that book. Not that I am ever gonna read it. But there are a few books I think I might get to have around when I have the baby and I am sitting down a lot. Liek teh Twilight books, I've heard so much I am just gonna have to read it. (although I've hear they are making a movie, so I am not too rushed, ha ha)
I just watched that part of conference today (we DVR conference- the kids can be obnoxiously loud and speakers can be monotous sometimes, bad combo.) I loved her talk. Hers and the Brazilian guy who's name escapes me. Both on what I need to be doing better for the family. Unfortunatley, Sis. Beck included housework in the nurturing part, which I do, but get really tired of. LOL.
Those were very sweet thoughts, darling daughter. Surprise! I've signed up a blog. I don't have anything on it, but there you have it! Love you!
Post a Comment