Wednesday, August 8, 2007

Out of body experience

Yesterday was a strange day for me. I did something that I never thought I would do. I took Caleb over to the middle school and picked up his schedule, got his student ID, signed him up for his 2 sports and had a MAJOR reality check! It seems like just the other day I was in Junior High myself. Awkward, shy, hormonal and downright WEIRD! As I walked with him into the library of the school, I seriously felt like I was having an out of body experience. I felt dizzy, my palms were sweating and I felt like I was going to pass out! How could this be happening to me?? I am the mother of a pre-pubesant, pre-teeny-bopper middle-schooler!! I'm scared! Because I had Caleb young, I don't have anybody my age to relate to. Thankfully, I can call up my sister Anna and she knows EXACTLY what I'm going through. There are so many changes that go along with starting Junior High. FASHION is now a priority. I had a reality check when I went school clothes shopping and found myself wondering if what I was buying for him would be considered "cool." If I bought him a shirt at Wal-Mart, would he be made fun of? What is "cool" these days? I am in my 30's now, what I consider cool is definitely not cool to my 12 year-old (or any 12 year old for that matter). Another thing that goes along with Junior High is BRACES. Yes, we will be forking over $4,000 + to get him braces. No doubt, with our genetics we will be forking that over at least 5 times. How did my parents do it 7 times??!! Regardless of all these changes, I'm happy to be entering into a new phase and I'm confident our amazing son will do just fine.

2 comments:

tharker said...

Wow. Junior High really was not all that long ago was it? I would be in a panic too! But I know that he will do fine, and so will you! As for fashion of 12 year olds, just look back to the late 80's. That seems to be what all the kids at church are wearing.

It's funny cuz they'll wear their little denim skirts over leggings, thinking they're soooo original, but I don't have the heart to tell them that I wore the same thing in 6th grade!!!

Kris said...

I still can't believe how old Caleb is. You know, I hear that having a kid in Jr. High is tough. All the thoughts of you being so cool and hip are gone. I fear for that day so much! Caleb will do great. Good luck with the first day and the rest of the year!