Ever since the earthquake in Haiti last month, I've been thinking about a way I could involve my family in the relief efforts. Like a lot of people, I let time pass and got busy with day to day things and never did anything. I was feeling guilty when I got an email from this amazing friend saying she wanted to organize a "Cookies for Haiti" project. She asked friends to donate a few dozen homemade cookies and together with the help of lots of people, they were packaged really cute and ready to be sold. My kids were more than anxious to participate!
They each had a basket full of cookies and we went around and sold them to friends and neighbors for $1 a package or however much people wanted to donate.

They each sold their basket full of cookies within 2 hours! They raised over $50 in one hour! People were buying a package of cookies for $5 and sometimes more. It was the neatest thing to see the generosity of perfect strangers who all wanted to contribute to a great cause. I'm so glad my children were able to experience the goodness of people and feel like they were doing something that would make a difference.
Tuesday, February 23, 2010
Cookies for Haiti
Posted by Emily at 10:40 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


10 comments:
I must have been out of town that day because I definitely would have bought some cookies! Yum yum. What a neat idea and $400 is a TON of money. Way to go!
What an inspiration! I love it!!! great job Matson Family. You are all so good. I love you!
Soooo cool!
sniff sniff, We are so proud of all of you. That is wonderful
That is sooo cool!
This is so cool and I love that your kids wanted to do it! Cute pictures!
awesome emily. and yes, cute packaging! love this. way to go all of you!
Of course your kids made a lot of money--they are so cute. I would have given them all the cash I had!
What a wonderful memory/experience for them to carry with them throughout their lives.
Cute! Good for them! I hope they get free tickets to Disneyland for their day of service.
Way to go, Matsons and friends!
Post a Comment