I'm sure it's a combination of a lot of things, but today I am really missing my family--you know, the one I was born into. I was standing in the dressing room trying on clothes and I caught a glimpse of my thighs in the mirror and thought, "Yep, there are those Waite family thunder thighs I inherited. And, those wide birthing hips--yep I think those came from my grandma.
It was at that moment I realized that I am who I am because of where I came from and that's a good thing. My upbringing wasn't perfect, but neither was yours. I am grateful for the family I was born into. I wouldn't have had it any other way, even though I was almost convinced once that I was adopted from Mexico. But, whatever.
This picture was taken when I was probably around 6 or 7 (I'm on the bottom right). I vividly remember having this picture taken and thinking how pretty I felt in my homemade dress. These were happy times. I also love this picture because it shows my parents at around the age I am now and they had six kids at the time just like us, 3 girls and 3 boys. The only difference is that they weren't done--we are!
This picture was taken in 1997 (I think) and included the two youngest in our family, or what I like to call the two bonus children.
This picture was taken last summer after Molly and Scott's wedding. It includes all 8 siblings, their spouses and 18 of the now 21 grandchildren.
Anytime we all get together it is always a great time. There is always lots of laughter and almost always a little drama. We can be pretty crazy and a little crude (the siblings that is) but we love each other so much and genuinely enjoy each others company.
I love all my siblings and consider them all my closest friends. Truly.
Excuse the cheese while I say a little something about each one them.This is Anna, the first born and natural leader of the pack. Anna was meant to be the oldest and she is a great example to all of us. She and I weren't very close growing up. In fact, we fought most of the time and honestly, I didn't like her very much. I just couldn't compete with her coolness. She had the better clothes, make-up, bedroom and boyfriend. I do have some good memories, but most of those began in our adult years. Anna and I really bonded after we were both married and had our first child within a few months of each other. We have grown closer through the years as we have shared our struggles and successes. Anna is not only a sister who I love and respect deeply, but she is a dear friend.
Tim is number 2. Most of my memories of Tim growing up were him beating the crap out of me. I'm pretty sure that I had some of those beatings coming to me, but man was he tough! I knew exactly what to say to get him fired up and I wasn't afraid to do it. Tim has always been really funny. He loves comedy and can really make people laugh. Tim is such a neat person with so many gifts and talents. He is a devoted father and new dad to his miracle baby Jesse. He happens to be married to one of my favorite people ever. I love Tim and look up to him in so many ways. I wonder if he knows how many people truly admire him?
Sherod is one of a kind! He and I are only 13 months apart and were very close growing up. We got in all kinds of trouble together and he was always the first to blame everything on me. He taught me a lot about life and bodily functions and how to push a stroller with a child in it off a tall cliff (don't worry, she survived). We were particularly close in High School where he was only a grade ahead of me. He looked out for me and hung out with me even when it wasn't the cool thing to do. Sherod is really, really funny (as you can tell by this picture). He gets a little overboard with his sarcasm, but he makes me laugh and knows how to have a good time. He is a successful business man and has made a great life for his wife and 3 boys. I admire him more than he probably knows and I'm grateful to have him as my brother.
Amanda is number 5 (just two years younger than me). We weren't close at all growing up but I now consider her one of my closest friends. She is an amazing person with a heart of gold. She is super talented and amazes me with her many natural abilities. She has the most beautiful smile and gorgeous hair. She is a talented dancer and a great athlete. She is more patient than I could ever hope to be. Amanda has helped me through some of my darkest days and has contributed to the person I am today. I am extremely grateful for Amanda and for her continued support and example.
Drew is number six and probably had it the roughest growing up. I'm really not sure how he ever survived past age 8. I swear, this guy must have 9 lives. I regret so much not getting to know him better growing up. I guess I spent too much time picking on him and I hope he will someday be able to forgive me. Don't get me wrong, he dished out quite a bit too. This guy is a piece of work. I have never known anyone who could conquer technical projects like he does. He has produced and filmed movies, commercials and has worked on endless other major projects. He has MAJOR talent! I'm convinced that he is going to make it BIG someday and that's why I decided to give Tait the middle name of Andrew. Maybe Tait will be the heir to some big fortune someday as my brother's namesake. Actually, Drew introduced Rob and I and that is why I am forever indebted to him. I love this guy and I am so proud of him and all he has accomplished.
Molly is the miracle baby that my parents tried YEARS to have. She was spoiled rotten! She was born when I was 12 and she was MY baby. She was born with tons of personality and was so much fun to help raise. I loved to show her off to my friends and to take places. She was always around teenagers and I think sort of always felt robbed of a "normal" childhood, but I think she had it pretty good. Molly is beautiful inside and out. She has so many talents and a love for life and others. She is kind hearted and strong willed which has served her well. She is everybody's friend and she doesn't know a stranger. Molly holds a special place in my heart and I hope she knows how much she is loved.
Last, but definitely not least, there's Sam. This boy has given us all a run for our money! He might have had it hard being the youngest and especially following Molly--the star of the show, but he has held his own. I feel a little sad when it comes to Sam because I feel like I don't know him very well. I was out of the house by the time he was old enough to really remember me. I have lived out of state for more than half his life and so I feel a little like a stranger to him. I hope Sam knows that he is as much a part of this big family as any of us and that we all want the best for him. Sam is really smart and I know that he is working on making a place for himself in this world. I know that he is capable of so much if he will just realize his worth. I love him very much and hope that I have many more opportunities to get to know him better.
Thank you Mom and Dad for all you have done for me, for happy memories and for providing me with 7 wonderful friends. What more could I ask for?
Saturday, June 13, 2009
Sentimental Saturday
Posted by Emily at 3:00 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

22 comments:
Thanks for the sweet tributes! We love you Em and are so proud and blessed to have you as a daughter.
Emily, this was the best post ever. I enjoyed reading about your siblings! What a fun group you have. This made me think of my own family and how different we are, yet we survived. Oh and I'm pretty sure with all that running you've been doing, you don't have "thunder thighs!" Love ya!
awwww that is the sweetest post ever!!!!
I loved reading about your family. You have such a mix of it all. They are all great. Lucky you.
Very, very cool post! You nailed everyone to a tee. Loved it!!!
I love you so much Mimi!!This means so much to me! I miss you.
I loved that! And what was Hayden doing in that first family picture? Holy cow, him and Anna are twins!
Thanks for sharing so much about your family. Coming from a really small family myself, I have always loved to hear about and be around people who had the opposite experience in big families. How special it is that you have so many neat people in your life!
Hey sis. Thanks for the kind words. Thank you also for posting the best picture of me. Love you big time sister.
Your kids are going to love reading your blog someday! I think it's great you include not just what's happening in your own little family unit but you include posts about the rest of your family/ Rob's family and your friends too. I think we all are who we are because of the families we grew up in and the friends we make and keep over the years. The impact they've had on our lives is really important to record.
Thats a great idea to post about your siblings. I hope you really don't feel bad at looking in the mirror. You are way to hard on yourself. I think your family is so cool. and I will always be jealous of them.
Loved reading this! Well put.
I have been so out of the blogging thing lately, but I am glad I got to see this one. Thanks so much for the nice stuff you said about me and also for reminding me how lucky I am to be a part of our family. I love you so much!
Loved reading about your siblings! Great tribute to each and everyone of them. Makes me miss mine!
That was enjoyable! :)
Thanks, Em for the stroll down memory lane. You are so kind to say all those nice things about us. My post about you would have left out the part about beating the crap out of you. I don't remember most of our fights but I do remember someone coming at me with a pair of scissors. I guess we're both lucky to still be alive.
I too am missing my family. Lucky me I get to see a few of them real soon. Thanks for picking a half-way decent pic of me. I love you more...
I love this post. Siblings are the best.
This was amazing - what a joy to read. No wonder you are such a wonderful person - you come from a beautiful family. Blessings!
I'm just now getting around to reading your blog. I love you so much and am happy that you count your siblings among your best friends. I guess we didn't fail completely.
That was such a sweet post Emily. YOu have such an amazing gift for expressing your feelings and being fun about it too. I know you see the good in others too just by reading your blog. So how fun to have such a great support system! I love reading about big families and how they interrelate. I'm glad you shared this and that you share so many different facets of your life. You truly are someone to learn from!:)
Love this post!
Post a Comment