Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Grandma Waite

Today is my grandma's birthday and I have been thinking about her a lot lately. I would love to record a few of my thoughts and memories of my grandma.

Growing up in the same town as my grandparent's I was able to see them quite often. My grandparents lived in the same house for 50 years or so and it was always so fun to visit. They had fruit trees and they always had fun toys to play with. They also had a large library of children's books that I loved to look through. It was in that library that I first discovered and fell in love with the Sweet Pickle series. My grandma loved to cook and would always have lots of great food. I was especially fond of her fruit leather she would make out of the fruit from their trees. She also made homemade grape juice that was so good and to this day anytime I drink grape juice, I think of my grandma.

I remember having sleepovers with my grandma where we would stay up late playing Scrabble and eating popcorn that was always drenched in butter and salt. My grandma was always genuinely interested in my life and what was happening with me. She always made an effort to be at all my "events" as a child and always made me feel important. I KNEW she loved me. I wasn't always the greatest granddaughter either. I remember being really thoughtless and immature. Apparently, I also asked her if she was pregnant when I was little.

My grandma hasn't always had the best health but NEVER complains. It wasn't until after she had her mastectomy that I found out she had breast cancer. Nobody bothered to tell me because my grandma didn't want anybody to worry. That's just how she is. She is such an example of service, kindness and spirituality and I feel so grateful and proud to be her granddaughter. I only wish I could see her more often and spend time with her. I love her and owe so much of the success I am to her (and my grandpa).

Happy Birthday Grandma.